Monday, January 16, 2012

Last Night's Golden Globes

A few quick responses and comments, in no particular order or importance, after watching the Golden Globes on Sunday night.
- I want to be George Clooney.
- Jane Fonda has no idea what "aging" means.
- Meryl Streep either had too much wine, too little sleep, or lost her reading glasses. 
- A little Ricky Gervais goes a long way.
- Tilda Swinton's hairdresser must be in a work/release program.
- I want to be a good looking Harvey Weinstein. He has impeccable judgment when it comes to picking movies to produce.
- I wish I could find time to watch a lot of those nominated TV shows. 
- Some terrific writing is going on in Hollywood these days, both in comedy and drama. Too bad more of it doesn't seep over to the feature film side.
- Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert should have won something, anything.
- I wonder what they had for dinner. They never mention the menu.
- Tilda Swinton's hairdresser should be arrested for cruel and unusual hair treatment.
- Tilda Swinton should be arrested for wearing it.
- They should limit each winner to one "thank you." More than that, they get the hook.
- While they're at it, prohibit any mention of agents, managers, producers, and entire casts and crews.
- Peter Dinklage has some kind of guts and inner strength. How else could a 3-foot tall man, who isn't by any stretch of the imagination "cute," decide to become an actor? And succeed.
- Speaking of Dinklage, I can't wait for "Game of Thrones" to return.
- I felt the warm rush of humility when Michelle Williams accepted her reward.
- I feel as though I must be the only person in America who doesn't watch "Modern Family."
- I wonder how they got Robert Downey Jr. to come out, in a tux, at the end of a long show, and say only 14 words: "The nominees for best motion picture, drama, are:...." and "And the winner is The Descendants." Maybe they gave him a lot of money.
- Sidney Poitier still has dignity, but I wish he would've smiled at least once. Even smirked, the way he did at Rod Steiger in "In the Heat of the Night."
- I wish I was George Clooney's friend. 

5 comments:

  1. You'd better stop dissing Tilda Swinton. I'd marry her in an instant. She's everything mysterious about a woman (and yes, she is one) I could ask for. Maybe only Nicole Kidman could take her away from me...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerry, Gerry, Gerry,

    Do you have Xray vision into my head? How else could we have come down so squarely (speaking figuratively, since you and I are forever too hip to be square) on the same page?? I agree with you COMPLETELY, with two slightly gender skewed caveats.
    1. I don't want to BE George Clooney, I want to DO George Clooney.
    2. I want to BE Jane Fonda - therefore I am throwing out years of slaving over a hot computer, hoping to write my way to fame and fortune, and instead will invest all my time and energy in trying to get her body. Then maybe I can find a sugar daddy to fund my quest for fame and fortune. Check back with me in a year. Or two.
    3. Meryl - was in her cuffs, I do believe. And, she left her glasses on the table. They tried to relay them up to her on the stage, but she free styled it. I'll cut her all the slack in the world, she's my hero.
    4. So is Robert Downey, Jr. for a whole host of other reasons. I'd like to do him too.
    5.Tilda Swinton's hair dresser should be shot. Why would somebody go out of their way to look that horrid?
    6. Ricky Gervais? Oh please.
    7. My take away? I need to spend more quality time with my TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerry--I agree with Jean Jeannie. I'd like to do George Clooney, with a helping of Robert Downey, Jr. on the side.

    I didn't watch the awards show last night, but I did see photos of Tilda Swinton's hairstyle. Yes, it was...unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got you talking! George Clooney, everyone wants a part of him. Tilda, touched in the head. Jane, enough money to get anything she wants tucked. Meryl, my hero. Gerry, spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of Dinklage, I certainly know who Martin Henderson is now. Great awareness tease. "Google him" indeed!

    ReplyDelete