Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"Shadow and Substance: My Time with Charlie Chaplin" Novel Accepted by Chaplin Archives

Available at www.stlbooks.com
I've just returned from a 3-day Charlie Chaplin International Conference, at U. of Ohio in Zanesville. (My first time in Zanesville. Never imagined I'd go there.) I brought copies of my new novel with me, "Shadow and Substance: My Time with Charlie Chaplin," even sold a few. But the best part was giving a copy of the book to Evelyne Luthi-Graf of the Archives de Montreux, in Switzerland, for the Chaplin collection. I don't know if this is the equivalent of eternal life for me, but it's close enough. And I'm in good company.


The conference was incredible, with participants from Italy, Japan, England, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Holland, Canada, and Finland. Plus from universities around the U.S. And two guys from St. Louis, me and Joe Delmore. For 13 or 14 hours a day, we saw films, restorations, presentations, discussions, on almost every aspect of Charlie's life and career. I even got to hold his derby and cane. 


Me and Joe
At this point I pause to say "Thank you" to Dr. Lisa Stein, at the U. of Ohio, for having the imagination, courage and energy to put this conference together. And have it come off so smoothly. Even the coffee and pastries were excellent. And I got to meet David Robinson, from London, the acclaimed expert and high priest of all things Chaplin. He signed my 1985 edition of his book, "Chaplin: His Life and Art." I also spent time with Chuck Maland, author of "Chaplin and American Culture." 


Back to the novel: it's available now, through Amazon, B&N online, or - preferably -  www.stlbooks.com

8 comments:

  1. Nothing like "Novelist's Nirvana" to give a writer a boost in energy. Great to see this, Gerry. Gee, I wish Kathy would feel she was complimenting me when she calls me a little tramp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerry, sounds like a fabulous time in Z'ville. Congrats on the book!

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Russ.
    Love the "Novelist's Nirvana", Dennis. You should be a writer. There's actually a little tramp in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Gerry! Sounds like you had a great time and made some good connections. I'm looking forward to seeing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gerry,
    Congratulations! You are still riding high. I know how elated you must feel about your book landing in the archives. I've attended lots of conferences, but none as fun as this one. Good luck on your book. I am enjoying reading, Where The Mountian Takes Me. You are prolific, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm too intimidated by all this fame to post anything more than the usual: love you, dear boy, and am happy for you and the conference and the recognition. Hell, I knew it all along.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gerry--ditto, ditto, ditto all of the above encouraging comments. How good that Chaplin has not only world wide fame and fans--but people who genuinely seek to understand the genius of his art.

    Janet Riehl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your comments - all of them - are humbling. Or at least the closest I can get to being humbled. When I went to the conference I said to myself, "I really don't care if I sell any books or not. I'm just glad it's no longer on my shelf in a 3-ring binder. All I want is to be surrounded by people who know about and appreciate Chaplin." Which I was. The extra kick I get now is from your comments. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete