Sunday, June 13, 2021

Whatever Happened to Those Second Bananas

    I passed a diner recently in Washington, Missouri. Wimpy’s Sandwich Shop. I didn’t stop but the name stayed with me as I continued driving, headed back to St. Louis.

Wimpy. Here was one of the great characters of the comics, Popeye’s buddy. I assume Popeye is still around, in one media format or another. But Wimpy seems to have faded away, remembered only by his hamburgers. Frankly, I could never understand this duo: Popeye was energetic with big muscles and ate spinach from the can. Wimpy was overweight, wore ugly ties, picked up discarded cigars, and ate hamburgers. Still, they were buddies. Wimpy was Popeye’s straight man. He was the “Second Banana.”

    I love that designation: Second Banana. As compared to Top Banana. The term originated in burlesque as a designation for comedians. The Second Banana’s role was to make the Top Banana look good.

         That set me wondering about other forgotten or discarded Second Bananas. I’m sure you know Porky Pig. But do you remember his girl friend? If you said “Petunia,” you win a pound of bacon. Introduced in 1937 by animator Frank Tashlin at Warner Brothers, Petunia went from co-star to minor roles to a discarded has-been several years later. A sad story indeed. I think Porky had feelings for her, but wonder if he still thinks of his lost love. I hope Petunia has found happiness playing bridge or bingo with friends at a pig-friendly retirement facility.

    Minnie Mouse fared much better. Maybe because Disney had a more compassionate heart than Jack Warner. I was not a big fan of Minnie but was pleased to learn that she and Mickey got married, in 1933. Unfortunately it didn’t happen on-screen. But Walt attested to their tying the knot, off-screen. Seemed the American thing to do back in those days. I’m still waiting for news of their children. Assuming they had them. Mice are prolific.
   

One of my personal favorites in the Disney stable is Donald Duck. He has an edgy, out-of-control personality that I appreciate. It took a special woman to love him. Her name was Daisy, who appeared in 1940. I’m happy to report that Daisy continues to enjoy a film career, and is still married to Donald. All’s well that ends well, even in Duckville.
    Other Second Bananas come to mind: Robin (Batman), Elmer Fudd (Bugs Bunny), Barney (Fred Flintstone), BooBoo (Yogi Bear), Tigger (Pooh). And the list goes on. My apologies if I’ve omitted your favorite. They all helped further the careers of the Top Bananas but somehow got lost in the dust of memory and competition.


    Which brings me to a most interesting group of Second Bananas - the Seven Dwarfs.

When Snow White met these little guys, they assumed an important role in this beloved story, made popular by Disney in 1937. But how did it all end? Snow White and The Prince get together and ride into the sunset on a magnificent steed, leaving behind her seven little friends. “So long, it’s been good to know ya.”? Sorry, Snow. Not acceptable.

    For the record, their names (to refresh your memory) are: Happy, Bashful, Sneezy, Grumpy, Doc, Sleepy and Dopey. Those were the names Walt gave them anyway. In the original story of Snow White, the Brothers Grimm didn’t name the little fellows. Walt named them, then had his animators create characters to match the names. I don’t know the back story on these guys. Maybe a bowling team or folk-rock band. But they got together in that mine and were a supportive group for Snow. They gave each other purpose in that cute cottage. My thoughts are with the dwarfs occasionally, as I try to imagine what life brought them later. They had a cameo in a couple of the “Shrek” movies, but nothing after those.
    Today I can see them at Golden Mines Manor, “Assisted Living for Retired Miners.” Though much older now, with a hint of memory loss for Grumpy and Sleepy, they are in relatively good health. Once a month they get together and sing for the residents. “Hi-Ho” is the most requested tune, followed by “Who’s Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf.” Dopey has written his autobiography, “Hear Me Talking: Stories from the Mines.” Sneezy and Bashful recently took first place in the Manor’s pickle ball tournament. Happy felt jilted by Snow and is now dependent on anti-depressants. But he looks happy. Doc learned to play the banjo and is a big hit at the monthly manor gatherings. “Snow White” is a name they rarely speak, but each day they look for a post card, a letter, anything from “those magical days.”
    The life of a Second Banana is a lesson for us: Enjoy your lot and just be glad you got in the game.
                    #

7 comments:

  1. Gerry--There's less stress being the Second Banana. When you're #2, you can screw up--it's expected--because it makes the Top Banana look even better.

    Think of Ed Norton. I think I'd much rather be him than Ralph Kramden.

    And Timmy... Second Banana to Lassie? Would I rather be Timmy than Lassie? That one I'm not so sure of. After all, Timmy kept falling into wells... And Lassie probably got his tangled coat brushed a lot. Getting rid of the matted parts most likely hurt. Not to mention that Timmy was a boy, and nobody called him a girl. Not so with poor Lassie.

    Great post, Gerry. I'm sure those Seven Dwarfs appeared on some reality TV show to hash out "the magical days."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good comment about less pressure on second Bananas. And Ralph is a great example. Very funny thoughts you have of Timmy and Lassie. Time for an update on that series perhaps. Maybe Doc, Dopey, Sneezy etc will return someday with the next chapter of their lives.

      Delete
  2. I was nodding in recognition, thinking of how many decades I've been around, beginning to feel glum, and then you lightened your fare, and I had to laugh out loud at your Seven Dwarfs schpeel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Really glad you enjoyed my 7 Dwarfs thoughts. I actually started this column to be entirely about those little guys but it got out of hand, got into a backstory on how they met, what their lives were like...great stuff for the imagination. Maybe I'll revisit that someday. By the way, google original artwork on the dwarfs that accompanied the Grimm story. They were really ugly little guys, the stuff of nightmares. Disney and his team cleaned the whole thing up and made them beloved. Talk about genius and imagination. I'm out of town now, but still want to share a cuppa/mugga with you, perhaps early July.

      Delete
  3. Wow, thanks Gerry. I'm a little surprised I know every one of the references. I have a mob of characters in my head now competing for my attention. And studios. Sylvester and Tweety popped into my mind. But now I'm thinking second banana and adversarial relationships don't mix. I have to rethink my whole childhood. I always thought Porkey's girl was P-p-p-p-p-etunia. (BTW, Mickey sued Minnie for divorce claiming she was mentally unstable aka friggn Goofy. At least, that's what I heard.)

    I'm wondering if Larry and Curly were both second Bs to Moe. Interestingly, I recently learned that Moe suffered more injuries than his comrades. There is so much to rethink.

    Eh th th th th thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fodder for the imagination, Dennis. Thanks for your note; I always look forward to them. And yes, I remember the Mickey/Minnie/Goofy bit. Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The content of your blog is exactly what I need, I like your blog
    I sincerely hope your blog has a rapid increase in traffic density.
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    កាស៊ីណូអនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete